Did you know that more than 70% of infants receive formula by 6 months of age? Are you searching for formula and unable to find it? Since the pandemic began, infant formula has been plagued by shortages. The recent recall of contaminated formula products certainly did not help and the shortages people are experiencing have heightened.
If you have an urgent need for formula, we hope the below tips will be helpful for you and your infant:
- Smaller stores and drug stores may have formula supplies when it is sold out at major retail chains.
- Some major retail chains sell formula on-line. Refresh their pages often to see what is in-stock and available for purchase. Note that some major retailers are putting a limit on the amount you can buy.
- Generic formulas may be an option.
- You may also contact our office if you are in need of formula. While supplies last, we can provide you with some formula to help over a small period of time to ensure your child is fed while you are locating additional formula.
Our team recommends that you DO NOT do the following as alternatives to formula:
- NEVER add more than the recommended amount of water to powdered or concentrated formula and never add any water to liquid ready-to-feed formula. This can dilute the nutrients which can cause imbalances and may lead to serious health problems.
- It is not recommended to make homemade formula. The balance of nutrients may be difficult for your baby to digest, may cause kidney or liver damage, and otherwise may not support healthy growth or development.
- It is also not recommended that you purchase formula from other countries that have not been reviewed / recommended by the FDA.
- You should also not feed an infant under 1 year of age cow milk or other milk substitutes.
While we are uncertain of how long this formula shortage will last, we are hopeful it will pass soon. If you have any additional questions regarding infant formula, please do not hesitate to contact our team at (513) 232-8100.
Thank you for trusting us with your care.
- Is there a baby formula shortage?
- Is Homemade Baby Formula Safe?
- Cow’s Milk Alternatives: Parent FAQs
- Parents face empty shelves as baby formula shortages worsen
Need to schedule your child’s next pediatric appointment? Contact our pediatric office in Cincinnati or Amelia, OH today!